Friday, June 06, 2014

Forgetful Friday #24

I feel like Advancement means different things to different players. To some, this is leveling up. For others, it seems to revolve around the character changing over time. And still others see it as the character’s story advancing. And I personally feel like all three of these viewpoints are valid. Leveling up is a long-standing tradition of RPGs and it does set the stage for a change in the nature and power of any new challenges. I also feel that if a character doesn’t change on some level, that they will stagnate and get boring to play. Finally, I fell like a good RPG helps the players and GM tell a cohesive story about a character's journey. When I say story, I mean in the same sense that your life or my life has a story to tell.

No comments: