Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday #13


TOON was another game that I loved, but I didn't really understand its genius until I started evaluating its game design years later (rather than just GMing it or playing it). I have played other comedy games since (e.g., Macho Women with Guns), but this is one of the few games where the game mechanics revolve around actually making the other players laugh. This was absolute fun to GM and to play and it was the first time where my judgment as a GM was challenged. An inexperienced player wanted to play a house plant. I didn't think that a House Plant PC would be able to function, even in a cartoon setting. Against my better judgment I allowed it and it was awesome.
When I design my games, I try and remember that the players can be targeted by the mechanics as well. And when this is done well, it makes the game fun and engaging.

2 comments:

Dawn Pozzi said...

A houseplant? A HOUSEPLANT? How does a houseplant funtion in an RPG?? I can't even imagine...lol...must have been hilarious!!

Dave M said...

Well...
The thing to remember with TOON is that it was heavily inspired by Looney Tunes, Felix the Cat and other zaney cartoons.

So, a house plant has just as much physicality as a rhino, right?

It was hilarious, and there may have been puns...