Thursday, May 01, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday #21

The first time I remember seeing mechanics requiring players to spend XPs in order to create magic items was in D&D 3rd edition. It may have existed in D&D 2nd edition (the only version I have not played), but I never saw those mechanics. This idea seems absurd to me. I understand that the intent is to provide game balance. That it prevents PCs from becoming too powerful just because they have spare GPs. However, it also prevented PCs from using magic items to solve problems creatively. Not only that, but the system does not usually provide a profit for creating and selling magic items. How does the Magic item economy sustain itself in this world? It makes no sense to me. I learned to try and balance mechanics versus how much fun it would be, not against how much control it may give or take from any one player.

No comments: