Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thoughtful Thursday #4


Henchmen/Followers - When I was a player, I really didn't want followers. I wanted to play a cool wizard, not a army general. When other players started reaching the power level that they should have Followers, the DM at the time (my friend since middle school, Mark (aka @TheCorvi), said that they weren't sure how to role play an army of NPCs or how to balance an encounter wth powerful PCs and an army of henchmen/followers.The decision did not affect the plans I had for my character and when I got to DM, the precendence let me simplify my games. Interestingly in my AD&D 1e revival game, I have tried to encourage the players to hire Henchmen and no one has been interested. In less tactical games, henchmen, followers and protoges have been great additions to the game though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember when I had all those skeleton henchmen do everybody's laundry in Exalted. That was cool. I'd hire a henchman now, but as a monk, I cannot...

Dave M said...

Yeah, that was a "game balance" issue. All the cool character classes don't get henchmen...